Monday, August 20, 2012

Real Presence


The gospel for this past Sunday was the gospel of John about the teaching of Jesus regarding  his real presence in the bread and wine of the Eucharist.  He said in John 6:53-57: “Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day.  For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink.  Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him.”  The Jews hearing this quarreled over this and the disciples said “This teaching is hard, who can accept this.” John 6:60. 


Later, at the Last Supper, Jesus reaffirmed that the this transubstantiation should be done in memory of him.  He did not say to do it to be symbolic but to eat his body and to drink his blood.  After his death and resurrection as the paschal lamb where he shed his blood and his body was killed, no other real lambs ever needed to be sacrificed at the Passover or for any other occasion.  We just need to receive his body and his blood at Communion.  It has been this way from Holy Thursday to the present.   

Now, here is the conundrum - a few years ago, it was reported that some 30% of the people believed in visits to Earth by intelligent extra-terrestrial aliens.  It was, also, reported in another study that some such large percentage of Catholics did not believe in the real presence. It is not surprising to learn that Protestants and non-Catholics do not believe in the real presence but it is shocking that a large number of Catholics do not believe in it.  The gospels and the teachings of the Apostles and the early Church to the present are absolutely clear about this.  How can there be an intelligent argument against the real presence?  Reminds me of the saying that goes: there is no one so blind who will not see. (It, also, reminds me of the times that I could not find my car keys while looking right at them.)

What will it take to educate our brothers and sisters in Christ to accept the real presence of Jesus?

What are your thoughts?

Let the light of our Lord shine upon you!

REM (Ray Makowski) Co-Founder, Director and Secretary-TreasurerAugust 20, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment